Little ABC for your spa-break questions ...
In their treatment discriptions, wellness hotels often use technical terms, which are hard to understand for potential guests. We have therefore collected and defined the most relevant terms in our small wellness ABC. A tip: Our wellness dictionary also supports word requests. You don't need to know the exact wording.
The Russian banja sauna - traditional Russian steam bath and bath house
Banja is a term used to describe a Russian steam bath as well as a traditional Russian bath house. Similar to the Finnish sauna, the Russian banja is made from wood and consists of three rooms: The sweat/steam room, a wash room and a relaxation room.
The Russian banja is heated through a wood burner and is much hotter than the Finnish sauna. The temperature can go well above 100°C.It is also common to pour water over heated rocks. Water or ice, with added essential oils, is poured on the stones in the sauna. This creates high humidity, which has a much greater effect on the heat.
Like in the Finnish sauna, the body is patted with soaked birch twigs, which can either be done yourself or by the person next to you. This process is refreshing and will also stimulate blood circulation. It is important to ensure that there are still leaves on the twigs or the patting may be painful. The water that was used to soak the birch twigs can then poured over the stones.
In Russia, men and women visit a banja separately, either by using separate rooms or by having different visiting times.
A visit to a banja improves blood circulation to the skin, helps with muscle tension and strengthens the immune system. However, a banja should be avoided if suffering from any acute infections, varicose veins or cardiovascular diseases.
Like the Finnish sauna, the banja has a social element. It is a place to meet friends and do business.
This service is offered by the following hotels
- Spa break for 3 & 6 days
- Beauty packages
- Relaxation packages
- Balance camps
- Active & sports
- Active & biking
- Golf & Wellness
- Active & Yoga
- Time for us
- Time for girl friends
- Time for men
- Mums and daughters
- Holidays in Schleswig-Holstein
- Spa Resorts Mecklenburg Western-Pommerania
- Wellness holidays in Lower Saxony
- Spa getaways Saxony-Anhalt
- Wellness in North Rhine-Westphalia
- Wellness holidays in Brandenburg
- Experiencing Wellness in Hesse
- Spa Hotels Rhineland-Palatinate
- Wellness regions
- Wellness at North Sea
- Holidays on Juist island | North Sea
- Holidays on Norderney island | North Sea
- Experiencing at the Wadden Sea
- Holidays St.Peter-Ording Wadden Sea
- Holidays at Husum | North Sea
- Holidays at Baltic Sea
- Holidays at Kiel Fjord
- Holidays at Holsteinische Schweiz
- Wellness on Rügen island
- Holidays on Usedom island
- Holidays at Warnemünde | Baltic Sea
- Wellness Harz region
- Spa break at Lower Lusatia
- Wellness Münsterland | Germany
- Spa break at Lower-Rhine
- Wellness break Rhineland
- Holidays in Sauerland NRW
- Wellness in the Eifel
- Wellness holidays north Hesse
- Holidays eastern part of Hesse
- Holidays at Moselle river
- Holidays at Nahe river
- Holidays in Westerwald
- Holidays in the Black Forest
- Holidays in Tyrol | Austria
- Alpine Spa in Allgäu | Bavaria
- Wellness Bavarian Forest
- Spa Holidays in Upper Bavaria