Little ABC for your spa-break questions ...
In their treatment discriptions, wellness hotels often use technical terms, which are hard to understand for potential guests. We have therefore collected and defined the most relevant terms in our small wellness ABC. A tip: Our wellness dictionary also supports word requests. You don't need to know the exact wording.
Cupping belongs to the detoxification group of treatment methods. Blood is encouraged to the surface by placing cups on the skin. Through creating a vacuum, the blood supply in the skin is increased (dry cupping) or is encouraged to bleed (bleeding cupping). The tools are usually rubber or glass cups, approximately five to ten centimetres in diameter. With the help of a balloon or suction pump, low air pressure is created, clearing the body of toxins, relaxing any tension and balancing out the energy in the body.
Cupping belongs to one of the oldest healing methods. The first historic report for the use of cupping was found on a doctor’s seal in the Mesopotamia area around 3300 BC.
When doing dry cupping the treated area is warmed. Usually between six and ten cups are placed on the back along the spine. Low pressure causes the fine blood capillaries of the skin to extend and after a few minutes there are blue spots, which then turn into bruises. If the cups stay on for a bit longer, they can cause blood blisters. The treatment takes ten to fifteen minutes.
A cupping massage is one version of the bloodless cupping where the skin on the back is oiled. The practitioner then moves a small cup backwards and forwards over the area. The treatment is stopped if the skin reddens up too much. This type of cupping massage doesn’t cause any bruises and is only used in cosmetic treatments.
The bleeding cupping requires the skin to be cut in a cross shape. The cups are then placed on the body and fill with blood from the cuts. In ten or twenty minutes, approximately 50ml of blood is removed. It is a painful treatment and the skin will feel very sore with no real medical reason to do the treatment.
Despite the long tradition of cupping, there is no evidence for its effectiveness.
This service is offered by the following hotels
- Spa break for 3 & 6 days
- Beauty packages
- Relaxation packages
- Balance camps
- Active & sports
- Active & biking
- Golf & Wellness
- Active & Yoga
- Time for us
- Time for girl friends
- Time for men
- Mums and daughters
- Holidays in Schleswig-Holstein
- Spa Resorts Mecklenburg Western-Pommerania
- Wellness holidays in Lower Saxony
- Spa getaways Saxony-Anhalt
- Wellness in North Rhine-Westphalia
- Wellness holidays in Brandenburg
- Experiencing Wellness in Hesse
- Spa Hotels Rhineland-Palatinate
- Wellness regions
- Wellness at North Sea
- Holidays on Juist island | North Sea
- Holidays on Norderney island | North Sea
- Experiencing at the Wadden Sea
- Holidays St.Peter-Ording Wadden Sea
- Holidays at Husum | North Sea
- Holidays at Baltic Sea
- Holidays at Kiel Fjord
- Holidays at Holsteinische Schweiz
- Wellness on Rügen island
- Holidays on Usedom island
- Holidays at Warnemünde | Baltic Sea
- Wellness Harz region
- Spa break at Lower Lusatia
- Wellness Münsterland | Germany
- Spa break at Lower-Rhine
- Wellness break Rhineland
- Holidays in Sauerland NRW
- Wellness in the Eifel
- Wellness holidays north Hesse
- Holidays eastern part of Hesse
- Holidays at Moselle river
- Holidays at Nahe river
- Holidays in Westerwald
- Holidays in the Black Forest
- Holidays in Tyrol | Austria
- Alpine Spa in Allgäu | Bavaria
- Wellness Bavarian Forest
- Spa Holidays in Upper Bavaria