Little ABC for your spa-break questions ...
In their treatment discriptions, wellness hotels often use technical terms, which are hard to understand for potential guests. We have therefore collected and defined the most relevant terms in our small wellness ABC. A tip: Our wellness dictionary also supports word requests. You don't need to know the exact wording.
Steam bath – aromatherapy steam bath
Excavations have shown that the Romans already appreciated the relaxing and regenerative power of steam baths (caldarium).
Nowadays, a steam bath is a standard facility in most saunas and thermal spring baths and come in various forms. However, what they all have in common is that the temperature is between 40 and 50 degrees Celsius and the humidity is around 100 per cent. This is why a steam bath is more suitable for people with circulation problems than a classic sauna. However, it is not recommended to stay in a steam bath longer than fifteen minutes. This is followed by a relaxation time of thirty minutes. If herbal additives or essential oils are added to the steam bath, it can have a soothing and relaxing effect for those suffering from respiratory problems. A steam bath is also perfect for loosening tight muscles. Through gentle stimulation of the metabolism, the immune system is also strengthened, which helps prevent colds and infections.
The most common form of steam bath is the Roman steam bath, called a caldarium. This is a special sauna with a room temperature of between forty-five and fifty degrees Celsius. The warmth is distributed to the ceramic tiled steam and inhalation room through the ceiling, benches and walls. The air often contains essential oils or herbal essences.
A different and also well known speciality of the steam bath is the hammam or Turkish steam bath. The visitor is encouraged to perspire on a marble stone heated between forty and fifty degrees Celsius. This process encourages the skin’s pores to open and the muscles to relax. Afterwards, a bath servant rubs the body with a wash and exfoliation glove.
- Spa break for 3 & 6 days
- Beauty packages
- Relaxation packages
- Balance camps
- Active & sports
- Active & biking
- Golf & Wellness
- Active & Yoga
- Time for us
- Time for girl friends
- Time for men
- Mums and daughters
- Holidays in Schleswig-Holstein
- Wellnesshotels Mecklenburg Western-Pommerania
- Wellness holidays in Lower Saxony
- Spa getaways Saxony-Anhalt
- Wellness in North Rhine-Westphalia
- Wellness holidays in Brandenburg
- Experiencing Wellness in Hesse
- Spa Hotels Rhineland-Palatinate
- Wellness regions
- Wellness at Germanys North Sea
- Holidays on Juist island | North Sea
- Holidays on Norderney island | North Sea
- Experiencing at the Wadden Sea
- Holidays St.Peter-Ording Wadden Sea
- Holidays at Husum | North Sea
- Holidays at Baltic Sea
- Holidays at Kiel Fjord
- Holidays at Holsteinische Schweiz
- Holidays at Warnemünde | Baltic Sea
- Holidays on Usedom island
- Wellness on Rügen island
- Wellness Harz region
- Spa break at Lower Lusatia
- Wellness Münsterland | Germany
- Spa break at Lower-Rhine
- Wellness break Rhineland
- Holidays in Sauerland NRW
- Wellness in the Eifel
- Wellness holidays north Hesse
- Holidays eastern part of Hesse