Little ABC for your spa-break questions ...
In their treatment discriptions, wellness hotels often use technical terms, which are hard to understand for potential guests. We have therefore collected and defined the most relevant terms in our small wellness ABC. A tip: Our wellness dictionary also supports word requests. You don't need to know the exact wording.
The parasympathetic nervous system
The parasympathetic nervous system is the contrary (antagonist) to the sympathetic nervous system. However, they both represent a part of the vegetative (or autonomic) nervous system. It is described as autonomic because we are not able to control this part of the nervous system. This includes functions like breathing, digestion and sweating.
The parasympathetic nervous system is responsible for the body’s relaxation, rest and recovery. It helps the body to continuously improve its performance. These are called trophotropic functions of the parasympathetic nervous system. If the parasympathetic nervous system is activated, blood pressure becomes lower, the digestive system becomes more active and the heart rate decreases.
The sympathetic nervous system takes over ergotropic functions. It makes sure that the body is always ready to react in stressful or dangerous situations. The sympathetic nervous system helps the body to achieve optimum performance.
The parasympathetic nervous system, like the sympathetic nervous system, is not located in one place but is spread throughout the entire body. It is a craniosacral system. The original cells are located in the head are (Latin cranium = skull) and in the sacral bone are (Latin os sacrum = sacral) which is the lower part of the spine.
If the interaction between the parasypathetic and the sympathetic nervous system is disturbed, it can lead to health problems and affect quality of life.
- Spa break for 3 & 6 days
- Beauty packages
- Relaxation packages
- Balance camps
- Active & sports
- Active & biking
- Golf & Wellness
- Active & Yoga
- Time for us
- Time for girl friends
- Time for men
- Mums and daughters
- Holidays in Schleswig-Holstein
- Spa Resorts Mecklenburg Western-Pommerania
- Wellness holidays in Lower Saxony
- Spa getaways Saxony-Anhalt
- Wellness in North Rhine-Westphalia
- Wellness holidays in Brandenburg
- Experiencing Wellness in Hesse
- Spa Hotels Rhineland-Palatinate
- Wellness regions
- Wellness at North Sea
- Holidays on Juist island | North Sea
- Holidays on Norderney island | North Sea
- Experiencing at the Wadden Sea
- Holidays St.Peter-Ording Wadden Sea
- Holidays at Husum | North Sea
- Holidays at Baltic Sea
- Holidays at Kiel Fjord
- Holidays at Holsteinische Schweiz
- Wellness on Rügen island
- Holidays on Usedom island
- Holidays at Warnemünde | Baltic Sea
- Wellness Harz region
- Spa break at Lower Lusatia
- Wellness Münsterland | Germany
- Spa break at Lower-Rhine
- Wellness break Rhineland
- Holidays in Sauerland NRW
- Wellness in the Eifel
- Wellness holidays north Hesse
- Holidays eastern part of Hesse
- Holidays at Moselle river
- Holidays at Nahe river
- Holidays in Westerwald
- Holidays in the Black Forest
- Holidays in Tyrol | Austria
- Alpine Spa in Allgäu | Bavaria
- Wellness Bavarian Forest
- Spa Holidays in Upper Bavaria