Little ABC for your spa-break questions ...
In their treatment discriptions, wellness hotels often use technical terms, which are hard to understand for potential guests. We have therefore collected and defined the most relevant terms in our small wellness ABC. A tip: Our wellness dictionary also supports word requests. You don't need to know the exact wording.
Select letters or search term:
Medical Wellness | Letter of intent
Medical Wellness - Definition
Medical wellness is thus developing into a new pillar that connects medical and wellness industry markets. Medical wellness is aimed at people who want to take care of themselves beyond existing available health care. Medical Wellness contains effective measures for self-responsible health care and stabilization of health, aiming at a sustainable improvement of the individual life quality and the subjective health awareness of the guest.
The basis of medical wellness forms an individual application plan consisting of carefully coordinated medical- and wellness treatments as well as of exercise and relaxation offers, taking into account individual needs and motivations. The plan shall motivate guests to adopt a health-conscious lifestyle. Medical wellness facilities are specialized and independently tested hotels, health centers and clinics that meet quality-tested standards, whose ambience and equipment guarantee well-being and relaxation.
The purpose of this letter of intent is to make the high quality of all medical wellness measures generally binding, to secure those standards, and to communicate them openly. This can only be achieved in cooperation with all relevant partners from politics, social systems, health economy, tourism etc. Our common goal is therefore not to negotiate the lowest common denominator, but to establish the highest possible quality standard, which serves as guideline for the entire industry and which makes it possible to differentiate between high-quality and low-quality offers.
The below listed requirements for medical wellness facilities are recognized by the signatories and shall provide valuable guidance to both, providers and consumers, helping to harmonize any activities in the medical wellness area by avoiding any double certification.
1. Medical Management
- A doctor is involved in the daily perational processes of the medical wellness facility.
- The doctor possesses an education in general medicine, internal medicine or orthopedics and an additional qualification in the wellness area. Unless additional specialised personnel cover the areas of knowledge of physical therapy and natural treatments, those areas are also covered by the doctor.
- The doctor is significantly involved in the conceptual design of the facility (therapies, offers, products) and is responsible for the individual application plans of guests.
- The doctor has a suiting consulting room in the facility.
2. Medical availability
- An initial medical examination in the wellness facility forms the basis for the creation of an individual application plan.
- The doctor is available to the guest as a contact person during his/her entire stay and offers - depending on the length of the say - feedback talks.
- During a detailed final discussion, individual recommendations are formulated and written down, which the guest then can implement at home.
- During the absence of the doctor, medically trained staff is available as contact person for guests.
3. Qualification of employees
- All employees possess a state-approved therapeutic training certificate and coordintate their work with the doctor at the facility.
- At least one therapist (e.g. physio therapist) is full-time employed at the facility.
- All employees have a high level of professional qualification, detailed knowledge of all operational processes, are experienced in customer service and possess psychosocial competences.
- The medical wellness facility ensures the regular further qualification of its employees in all areas of competence (technical, methodical, social, personnel) and in partical in the area of service quality.
4. Integrative Concept
- The medical wellness facility has a holistic and scientifically sound understanding of health (proof of the active principles), in the center of which is the guest.
- It is based on positive health goals (salutogenetic orientation) and integrates multidisciplinary wellness programs
- If locally-based remedies are available, these are included in the therapies/ treatments if it makes sense.
- All medical-therapeutic applications are based on standardized examination sheets and therapy plans as well as on performance descriptions of physiotherapy.
- The facility ensures comprehensive communication among the service providers.
5. Offers aimed at sustainability
- All medical wellness programs are geared towards sustainable, responsible changes in lifestyle. They should serve as guidance for self-help and show possibilties to integrate what has been learned in everyday life.
- A careful documentation of results and goals ensure long-term suggestions (e.g. nutrition plans, exercise plans) and independent success monitoring.
- If possible, the advisory team of the medical wellness facility are available to the guest beyond the duration of the stay.
6. High quality of furnishings and equipment
- The accommodation, catering and application areas of the medical wellness facilities meet equipment standards, which are corresponding with the standards of official classifications (DEHOGA/IHA).
- The 'hardware' of the facilities allows for professional treatment and care of the guests and creates a setting in which guests can relax, reflect and feel comfortable.
- The treatment and examination rooms provide modern equipment and impart medical or therapeutic competence without a hospital atmosphere.
Documented quality management
- The medical wellness facility guarantees the reliable networking of all service providers and - if requested by the guest - ensures secure data transfer to external partners.
- The medical wellness facility has a complaint management system and uses tools such as customer surveys to control the professional (medical, therapeutic, gastronomic) and service quality.
- The facility practices as quality management system and is able to maintain the high quality with a completed certification or an own proper documentation
Signatories: Institutions that initiated this letter of intent:
- Deutscher Medical Wellness Verband e.V.
- Europäisches Gesundheitszentrum für Naturheilverfahren · Sebastian Kneipp Institut GmbH
- Heilbäderverband Baden-Württemberg e.V. – Medical Wellness Stars
- Wellness-Hotels & Resorts GmbH
Institutions that have contributed significantly to this letter of intent / carry it and have officially confirmed it:
- BIO-Hotels – Verein für Angebotsentwicklung & Marketing
- Eggensberger Wellnesshotel & Kurklinik
- Europäisches Wellness-Institut EWI
- Marketinginitiative zur Förderung von Gesundheitstourismus „med in Germany - Premiummarke No.1®“ e.V.
- MWM Medical Wellness Management GmbH
- RAL-Gütegemeinschaft Kureinrichtungen e.V.
- Sächsische Staatsbäder GmbH
- The Leading Medical Wellness Hotels & Resorts
- Verband Deutscher Kurörtlicher Betriebe e.V.
Institutions that support this letter of intent but have not yet officially confirmed it:
- Deutscher Heilbäderverband e.V.