Little ABC for your spa-break questions ...
In their treatment discriptions, wellness hotels often use technical terms, which are hard to understand for potential guests. We have therefore collected and defined the most relevant terms in our small wellness ABC. A tip: Our wellness dictionary also supports word requests. You don't need to know the exact wording.
When making the decision to fast, it is important to decide which fasting method to embark on. However, it is always advisable to speak to your GP first. The next step is to decide if you are only going to give up solid food for a few days or to take the option to eat small portions throughout the day.
Traditionally, fasting has been associated with different religions as a form of asceticism. Fasting is meant to cleanse the body, strengthen our willpower, repent our sins and have direct contact with God.
Nowadays, fasting is more about restoring our health as it can have many benefits for the body. During fasting, the metabolism changes so that fat reserves are burned and there is less cholesterol and sugar in the blood. Some studies have shown that the pain from rheumatism and arthritis are lessened. However, fasting is not a treatment for diseases in general but it can work alongside traditional medicine. It is important to prepare well and to give yourself time for it to be beneficial.
Fasting in not a miracle cure for weight loss because the body switches into emergency mode and the metabolism slows down. After fasting, the body goes into overdrive, making up for the lack of food, creating a yo-yo effect. It can also cause an irregular heartbeat as well as vitamin and mineral deficiency. Fasting can also be dangerous for older people, in particular.
There are different forms of fasting. An extreme option is drastic fasting. This is a starvation diet, where only water or herbal tea is permitted. Less extreme is the fasting form named after Buchinger and F. X. Mayr. The Buchinger method involves drinking only herbal tea, vegetable stock and water for five days. The F. X. Mayr method, which lasts for three or four weeks, consists of eating milk soaked rolls as well as drinking herbal tea and water.
- Spa break for 3 & 6 days
- Beauty packages
- Relaxation packages
- Balance camps
- Active & sports
- Active & biking
- Golf & Wellness
- Active & Yoga
- Time for us
- Time for girl friends
- Time for men
- Mums and daughters
- Holidays in Schleswig-Holstein
- Wellnesshotels Mecklenburg Western-Pommerania
- Wellness holidays in Lower Saxony
- Spa getaways Saxony-Anhalt
- Wellness in North Rhine-Westphalia
- Wellness holidays in Brandenburg
- Experiencing Wellness in Hesse
- Spa Hotels Rhineland-Palatinate
- Wellness regions
- Wellness at Germanys North Sea
- Holidays on Juist island | North Sea
- Holidays on Norderney island | North Sea
- Experiencing at the Wadden Sea
- Holidays St.Peter-Ording Wadden Sea
- Holidays at Husum | North Sea
- Holidays at Baltic Sea
- Holidays at Kiel Fjord
- Holidays at Holsteinische Schweiz
- Holidays at Warnemünde | Baltic Sea
- Holidays on Usedom island
- Wellness on Rügen island
- Wellness Harz region
- Spa break at Lower Lusatia
- Wellness Münsterland | Germany
- Spa break at Lower-Rhine
- Wellness break Rhineland
- Holidays in Sauerland NRW
- Wellness in the Eifel
- Wellness holidays north Hesse
- Holidays eastern part of Hesse