Little ABC for your spa-break questions ...
In their treatment discriptions, wellness hotels often use technical terms, which are hard to understand for potential guests. We have therefore collected and defined the most relevant terms in our small wellness ABC. A tip: Our wellness dictionary also supports word requests. You don't need to know the exact wording.
Osteopathy - a natural healing method to improve mobility and restore overall health
The term osteopathy was created from the Greek words osteon, meaning bone and pathos, meaning disease, literally translated as bone disease. However, this shouldn't cause any confusion because osteopathy is to do with restoring the body's movement and preventing pain.
Osteopathy is based on the idea that the human body is always moving. Even when sleeping, the heart is beating, the chest is lifting with every breath and the internal organs are functioning. If restrictions to movement emerge in any areas of the body, it can be - according to osteopathy - the beginning of disease because tensions can obstruct the body's energy flow and cause discomfort.
Osteopathy was developed in the mid 19th century by the American doctor Andrew Taylor Still with the intention of encouraging self healing through movement. A consultation always starts with a close look at the patient's body. By checking the posture, touching the body and using x-rays, the osteopath is able to get a detailed picture of where blockages, tensions or misalignments exist. Osteopathy is a manual method of therapy because only the hands are used as a tool for treatment.
Osteopathy is an important natural healing therapy; however it is not scientifically proven. Currently only a few studies exist confirming its efficiency. However, many patients find the therapy helpful. Even though the treatment is gentle, patients should generally see a qualified therapist, who has completed a training course, comprising of at least five years.
- Spa break for 3 & 6 days
- Beauty packages
- Relaxation packages
- Balance camps
- Active & sports
- Active & biking
- Golf & Wellness
- Active & Yoga
- Time for us
- Time for girl friends
- Time for men
- Mums and daughters
- Holidays in Schleswig-Holstein
- Spa Resorts Mecklenburg Western-Pommerania
- Wellness holidays in Lower Saxony
- Spa getaways Saxony-Anhalt
- Wellness in North Rhine-Westphalia
- Wellness holidays in Brandenburg
- Experiencing Wellness in Hesse
- Spa Hotels Rhineland-Palatinate
- Wellness regions
- Wellness at North Sea
- Holidays on Juist island | North Sea
- Holidays on Norderney island | North Sea
- Experiencing at the Wadden Sea
- Holidays St.Peter-Ording Wadden Sea
- Holidays at Husum | North Sea
- Holidays at Baltic Sea
- Holidays at Kiel Fjord
- Holidays at Holsteinische Schweiz
- Wellness on Rügen island
- Holidays on Usedom island
- Holidays at Warnemünde | Baltic Sea
- Wellness Harz region
- Spa break at Lower Lusatia
- Wellness Münsterland | Germany
- Spa break at Lower-Rhine
- Wellness break Rhineland
- Holidays in Sauerland NRW
- Wellness in the Eifel
- Wellness holidays north Hesse
- Holidays eastern part of Hesse