Michels wellbeing hotel is situated between Bonn and Trier, adjacent to the volcanic lake of Schalkenmehrener Maar. The hotel has a warm and cosy interior, which has a family-run tradition that goes back over 130 years. There are plenty of interesting cities within easy reach and well worth a visit (Cologne 120km, Frankfurt am Main 180km, Luxembourg 110km).
Schalkenmehren is located in the low mountain range region of Rhineland-Palatinate. The area is perfect for outdoor activities – whatever the season. Summer is the perfect time to have a refreshing swim in one of the volcanic lakes or to discover this stunning area either by bike or on foot. During the winter months, guests can enjoy activities like ice skating, tobogganing, cross-country skiing or ski racing. Culture lovers won’t be disappointed as there are a good variety of museums, fortresses, castles and monuments to explore – all within easy reach of the hotel.
It’s always a pleasure to relax in the Landhaustherme Vitalquell Spa after doing a full day of activities. This spacious 1,000m² wellness area was built in 2010 and includes a large 80m² indoor swimming pool, several indoor saunas, a garden sauna and three different relaxation rooms. Additionally, there’s a range of wellness treatments on offer – including facials, massages and exfoliations.
The VitalQuell is the hotel’s impressive 1.000m² wellness area. Guests can enjoy being pampered in a relaxing atmosphere by the qualified staff. The indoor pool is heated to a comfortable 29°C and includes three whirlpool loungers and massage jets. There are three Finnish saunas, a salt cave and a steam bath, as well as an outdoor garden sauna. Guests are able to relax and recharge their batteries in two relaxation rooms, a quiet room or in the lounge with its cosy fireplace. The VitalQuell bistro offers healthy refreshments and snacks.
- Facial treatments
- Anti-aging, detox, hyaluronic, facial lymphatic drainage
- Manicures and pedicures
- Hair removal using hot wax
- Massages: herbal stamp, hot stone, honey, aromatherapy, Eifel healing clay, detox, hot air, birch wood, fascia
- ThermoSpa and exfoliation: body exfoliation, sea salt exfoliation, exfoliation using natural products - including Eifel moor and grape seed
- A water-bed lounge
- Wraps: algae, aromatherapy, aloe shea
- Ear candle treatment
Wellness & Care
Medical and physiotherapeutic treatments:
- Lymphatic drainage
- Mitos (a treatment particularly good to treat sports injuries)
- Craniosacral therapy
- Breathing techniques
- Kneipp baths, hot and cold foot baths
- Ayurveda (Individual Ayurveda type is identified)
- Padabhyanga: Ayurveda foot massage
- Nabhi Abhyanga: Ayurveda abdominal massage
- Shiroabhyanga: Ayurveda head massage
- Thaladal: Ayurveda pressure massage
- Abhyanga: Ayurveda full body oil massage
- Udvartana: Ayurveda powder massage
Michels wellbeing hotel is surrounded by stunning scenery, making it ideal for nature lovers and sports’ enthusiasts. The area is popular for Nordic walking, cycling and hiking.
Where to go by bike
Cyclists will love the Maare-Moselle cycling route as it winds its way across historic viaducts, through the Eifel Forest as far as the Moselle Valley. An alternative route is the VulkanBike Trailpark. This 750km route is well-signposted and ideal for both amateurs and cycling pros. Michels wellbeing hotel has bikes available to hire as well as a bike shed for guests wishing to bring their own bikes. Maps of the area are also available to borrow and guided tours can be booked at the reception.
Where to go on foot
There are around 300km of walking routes in the Eifel region giving visitors a good variety of trails to enjoy. The 26km volcano path is a circular route, which has impressive views over this unique landscape. Walkers can also discover seven of the nine volcanic lakes (Maars) from the path. Michels wellbeing hotel has prepared 30 walking routes, which are available to guests.
The Nordic Fitness Park is the longest connected park in Europe – perfect for Nordic Walking enthusiasts. It offers a choice of 12 different routes of varying lengths and is suitable for all levels.
- Nordic Walking
- Swimming in the volcanic lakes
- Horse riding
- Ice skating
- Cross-country skiing
- Alpine skiing
There is a great choice of places to visit around Schalkmehren for guests interested in sight-seeing.
Towns and cities in the proximity of the hotel:
- The Roman town of Trier
- Luxemburg City
- Manderscheid Castle
- Cochem Castle
- A good choice of museums – including the Volcanic Lake Museum (Maarmuseum) in Manderscheid or the Doll and Toy Museum in Laufeld
- Pyrmont Castle
A charging point is available for guests with electric cars.
Activities at the hotel
Michels wellbeing hotel has a large variety of activities available – including a shuttle service, which drops off guests at nearby places of interest so they can then enjoy a walk back to the hotel. The hotel garden has an outdoor chess and boccia area.
- Free WiFi
- Garage or Car Park
- Quiet rooms
- Separate smoking area
- Accessible facilities
- Pets allowed
- Shuttle service (from/to station or airport)
- Wellness for couples
- Outdoor terrace
- Vegetarian | Vegan cuisine
- Meals for special dietary requirements
- Total size of spa and wellness area (in qm) without outdoor facilities: 1100
- Indoor pool ( in qm): 78
- Massage jets
- Relaxation loungers
- bathing lake (Distance in meter): 150
- Finnish sauna (95°-110°C)
- Tepidarium (38°C)
- Aroma steam bath
- Number of treatment cabins: 7
- Traditional cosmetics
- Natural cosmetics
- Instrument-based cosmetics
- Wellness massages
- Medical massages
- Health check
- Natural fango/ moor/ mud treatments
- Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM)
- fitness studio
- 4 x Number of fitness machines
- E-Bike Verleih
- Qi Gong
- Aqua fitness
- Guided hikes
- Mountain bike parcours
- Golf course close by
- Designated running tracks
- Bike rental
- E-Bike rental
- Arts & crafts activities
- Cultural excursions
The hotel is located right in the centre of Schalkenmehren, close to the Maar volcanic lake in the Volcanic Eifel National Park. Cologne and Aix-la-Chapelle (Aachen) are approximately 120km away and Frankfurt am Main about 180km.