Little ABC for your spa-break questions ...
In their treatment discriptions, wellness hotels often use technical terms, which are hard to understand for potential guests. We have therefore collected and defined the most relevant terms in our small wellness ABC. A tip: Our wellness dictionary also supports word requests. You don't need to know the exact wording.
The word meridian originates from the Latin curiculus meridianus, which means imaginary great circle. The expression meridian has been an essential term used in traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) for approximately 1,500 years in acupuncture treatment.
According to traditional Chinese medicine theory, life energy (qi) flows in lines, known as meridians, which are comparable to chakras in ayurvedic theory. This energy is supplied through nutrition, breath and from the Earth’s bio-magnetic field. The person’s health depends on a free energy flow in the human body. If there is a blockage to the energy flow, the person will become ill.
Following this concept, there are twelve main meridians each corresponding to an organ. Most of the seven hundred or so acupuncture points are located on these meridians, which can be treated through applying pressure with the fingers or with the use of needles. By stimulating the acupuncture points the energy flow balances out.
Each of the main meridians has its own direction of flow. Yin meridians go from the toes to the core and from the core to the fingers, Yang meridians run from the fingers to the face and from the face to the toes. According to TCM theory, the main meridians create a circle, whereby there is a constant flow of energy throughout the body.
According to traditional Chinese medicine, the existence of the meridian system hasn’t been scientifically proven.
- Spa break for 3 & 6 days
- Beauty packages
- Relaxation packages
- Balance camps
- Active & sports
- Active & biking
- Golf & Wellness
- Active & Yoga
- Time for us
- Time for girl friends
- Time for men
- Mums and daughters
- Holidays in Schleswig-Holstein
- Spa Resorts Mecklenburg Western-Pommerania
- Wellness holidays in Lower Saxony
- Spa getaways Saxony-Anhalt
- Wellness in North Rhine-Westphalia
- Wellness holidays in Brandenburg
- Experiencing Wellness in Hesse
- Spa Hotels Rhineland-Palatinate
- Wellness regions
- Wellness at Germanys North Sea
- Holidays on Juist island | North Sea
- Holidays on Norderney island | North Sea
- Experiencing at the Wadden Sea
- Holidays St.Peter-Ording Wadden Sea
- Holidays at Husum | North Sea
- Holidays at Baltic Sea
- Holidays at Kiel Fjord
- Holidays at Holsteinische Schweiz
- Wellness on Rügen island
- Holidays on Usedom island
- Holidays at Warnemünde | Baltic Sea
- Wellness Harz region
- Spa break at Lower Lusatia
- Wellness Münsterland | Germany
- Spa break at Lower-Rhine
- Wellness break Rhineland
- Holidays in Sauerland NRW
- Wellness in the Eifel
- Wellness holidays north Hesse
- Holidays eastern part of Hesse