Little ABC for your spa-break questions ...
In their treatment discriptions, wellness hotels often use technical terms, which are hard to understand for potential guests. We have therefore collected and defined the most relevant terms in our small wellness ABC. A tip: Our wellness dictionary also supports word requests. You don't need to know the exact wording.
Moxibustion - an important element of traditional Chinese medicine
Moxibustion (also moxa therapy, moxa) is a component of traditional Chinese medicine, an effective treatment system that has been around for thousands of years. Moxibustion originated from the cold mountain region of Northern China. According to the principles of traditional Chinese medicine, it is supposed to treat diagnosed cold areas of the body as well as symptoms of exhaustion. Defined points on the skin along the meridians, (channels in which life energy qi flows), are stimulated by warming them. The warming effect is carried out by burning small amounts of Chinese mugwort. It consists of dried mugwort, a healing, spice plant, which is burned slowly and evenly, producing particularly mild and effective warmth.
In terms of Chinese conception the externally applied warmth turns energetic cold and dampness away, encourages the flow of qi and strengthens the yang (yang stands for body warmth and body power).
According to Chinese medicine, moxibustion can also help prevent and treat diseases. The Western idea suggests moxibustion improves circulation in the tissues, stimulates the metabolism and strengthens the immune system. The basis of any moxibustion treatment is a detailed diagnosis founded on traditional Chinese medicine. Moxibustion can be used to treat asthma, bronchitis, chronic pain, muscle tension as well as back pain.
In China and Japan, moxa cones are placed directly on the skin (direct moxibustion) and the resulting blisters are seen as part of the therapy. In Europe, a gentler, indirect moxibustion is used. This is done using mugwort coated moxa plasters, which are applied on particular points of the body to produce warmth. The plasters are easy to administer and are suitable for use at home.
Moxibustion should not be done on the face, head or near mucous membranes. If the treatment is not done properly, it can cause burns with blisters and scarring.
- Spa break for 3 & 6 days
- Beauty packages
- Relaxation packages
- Balance camps
- Active & sports
- Active & biking
- Golf & Wellness
- Active & Yoga
- Time for us
- Time for girl friends
- Time for men
- Mums and daughters
- Holidays in Schleswig-Holstein
- Wellnesshotels Mecklenburg Western-Pommerania
- Wellness holidays in Lower Saxony
- Spa getaways Saxony-Anhalt
- Wellness in North Rhine-Westphalia
- Wellness holidays in Brandenburg
- Experiencing Wellness in Hesse
- Spa Hotels Rhineland-Palatinate
- Spa hotel in Saarland - Germany
- Spa Break in Baden-Wurttemberg
- Wellness regions
- at the North & Baltic Sea area
- Holidays on Juist island | North Sea
- Holidays on Norderney island | North Sea
- Experiencing at the Wadden Sea
- Holidays St.Peter-Ording Wadden Sea
- Holidays at Husum | North Sea
- Holidays at Kiel Fjord
- Holidays at Holsteinische Schweiz
- Holidays at Warnemünde | Baltic Sea
- Holidays on Usedom island
- Wellness on Rügen island
- Wellness Harz region
- Spa break at Lower Lusatia
- Wellness Münsterland | Germany
- Spa break at Lower-Rhine
- Wellness break Rhineland
- Holidays in Sauerland NRW
- Wellness in the Eifel
- Wellness holidays north Hesse