Little ABC for your spa-break questions ...
In their treatment discriptions, wellness hotels often use technical terms, which are hard to understand for potential guests. We have therefore collected and defined the most relevant terms in our small wellness ABC. A tip: Our wellness dictionary also supports word requests. You don't need to know the exact wording.
Hot Stone Massage - Traditional massage with hot stones
Many Asian, North and South American and Hawaiian cultures have used stones for rituals and healing purposes for thousands of years.
The basis of a hot stone massage is the hot stones, which are heated in water to a temperature of 60°C. Only basalt stones are used for a hot stone massage because they retain heat well due to their volcanic origin.
A hot stone massage usually lasts between sixty and ninety minutes. It is then recommended to rest for about an hour afterwards.
To commence, the patient lies down on warm basalt stones to relax the muscles and prepare for the massage. The warmth speeds up blood circulation and improves oxygen supply to the cells as well as creating a deeper relaxation. The energy lines (the meridians) are mapped out using a brush and warm herbal oil, along the spine and down to the feet. Then about forty warm stones are placed along the energy lines.
More stones are then used for massaging. The therapist starts at the head, working towards the arms, chest and stomach and will finish with the legs and feet.
Another method is to create a vibration. The therapist gently hits one of the stones placed on the body with another stone. This will release deep muscular tension.
A hot stone massage improves circulation and the efficiency of the metabolism, increases lymphatic drainage, reduces muscular tension, generates deep relaxation and revitalises the whole body.
- Spa break for 3 & 6 days
- Beauty packages
- Relaxation packages
- Balance camps
- Active & sports
- Active & biking
- Golf & Wellness
- Active & Yoga
- Time for us
- Time for girl friends
- Time for men
- Mums and daughters
- Holidays in Schleswig-Holstein
- Wellnesshotels Mecklenburg Western-Pommerania
- Wellness holidays in Lower Saxony
- Spa getaways Saxony-Anhalt
- Wellness in North Rhine-Westphalia
- Wellness holidays in Brandenburg
- Experiencing Wellness in Hesse
- Spa Hotels Rhineland-Palatinate
- Spa hotel in Saarland - Germany
- Spa Break in Baden-Wurttemberg
- Wellness regions
- at the North & Baltic Sea area
- Holidays on Norderney island | North Sea
- Experiencing at the Wadden Sea
- Holidays St.Peter-Ording Wadden Sea
- Holidays at Husum | North Sea
- Holidays at Kiel Fjord
- Holidays at Holsteinische Schweiz
- Holidays at Warnemünde | Baltic Sea
- Holidays on Usedom island
- Wellness on Rügen island
- Wellness Harz region
- Spa break at Lower Lusatia
- Wellness Münsterland | Germany
- Spa break at Lower-Rhine
- Wellness break Rhineland
- Holidays in Sauerland NRW
- Wellness in the Eifel
- Wellness holidays north Hesse
- Holidays eastern part of Hesse