Massage - soothing or therapeutic effect through using pressure on the muscles and tissues
The term massage refers to a variety of techniques used to create pressure on muscles and tissues by using either the therapist's hands or special tools like balls or rollers.
The soothing effect of massages has been known for a long time, but it wasn't until the 20th century that massages were also accepted as a healing method. Nowadays, massages belong to the daily business in massage salons, wellness hotels and day spas, where guests can chose from a variety of massaging types as a treatment.
Massage gives a sense of wellbeing and has a relaxing effect on the body by producing endorphins, the body's feel-good hormones. Depending on the intensity and technique used, massages can ease tension and improve circulation in the muscles. The speed in which the massage is performed will give different results. For example, faster massage techniques have a more stimulating effect and a slower pace is used for relaxing treatments.
In general, a distinction is made between medical and wellbeing massages. Medical massages are practised by physiotherapists or trained massage therapists, whereas wellbeing massages can be given by beauty therapists. Medical or classic massages generally focus on kneading the muscles and are generally more intense than wellbeing massages as they can reach deeper muscles and tissues.
Wellbeing massages induce a calming effect on the mind and body. These massages are often accompanied by a combination of particular products like oils. Scents or candles create a relaxing atmosphere. Asian massage types like Thai massage, Chinese or Japanese massage, Ayurveda massage, Shiatsu massage and Hawaiian Lomi-Lomi massage as well as Hot Stone massage all belong to this group.
With all massages, it is important that they are carried out by a trained therapist with a recognised qualification. Everyone can enjoy massages; however, if you are pregnant or have been ill, it is advisable to inform the therapist before any treatment so your individual circumstance can be considered.
This service is offered by the following hotels
- Me time 3 & 6 days
- Beauty packages
- Relaxation packages
- Balance camps
- Active & sports
- Active & biking
- Golf & Wellness
- Active & Yoga
- Time for us
- Time for girl friends
- Time for men
- Family & Wellness
- Spa Resorts Mecklenburg-Vorpommern Germany’s East Coast
- Wellness holidays in Lower Saxony Germany - Discovering the North Sea and the Harz
- Cozy Spa getaways in central Germany: Saxony-Anhalt Harz mountains
- Wellness in Northrine-Westphalia
- Experiencing Wellness in Hesse | Germany
- Spa Hotels in the West of Germany: Rhineland-Palatinate Historic Westerwald
- Wellness regions
- Wellness at Germany´s North sea coast
- Holidays on Juist island | Northern sea
- Holidays on Norderney island | North sea
- Experiencing wellness holidays at the German Wadden Sea
- Holidays St.Peter-Ording Wadden sea | Germany
- Holidays at HusumNorth sea Germany
- Holidays at Baltic sea | Germany
- Holidays at Kiel Fjord
- Wellness holidays Holsteinische Schweiz
- Wellness on island of Rügen
- Wellness and holidays on island Usedom
- Holidays at Warnemünde Baltic sea
- Wellness Münsterland | Germany
- Wellness weekend Rhineland
- Holidays in Sauerland region
- Wellness in the Eifel area: Relaxing in picturesque nature
- holidays in the eastern part of Hesse | Germany