Little ABC for your spa-break questions ...
In their treatment discriptions, wellness hotels often use technical terms, which are hard to understand for potential guests. We have therefore collected and defined the most relevant terms in our small wellness ABC. A tip: Our wellness dictionary also supports word requests. You don't need to know the exact wording.
Alexander technique - therapeutic body training to improve the posture and body movement
The Alexander Technique is therapeutic body training, which focuses on loosening tension in the body by improving the posture and giving maximum flexibility with a minimum strain on the body.
The method was developed by the Australian actor Frederick Matthias Alexander (1869-1955) after he kept losing his voice on stage. He started searching for a solution because no treatment had yet helped him. Relaxation exercises solved the voice problem, which then led to an improved posture. Through his own personal experiences, an extensive training for the body was born.
The Alexander Technique focuses on posture. The therapist looks for any existing tension in the musculoskeletal system by analysing the posture whilst sitting, standing and walking and how movements are made, which then highlights any bad physical habits that can obstruct movement.
During an Alexander Technique session, the therapist teaches the patient how to notice any tension by gently laying a hand on different areas of the body and will show the patient how to perform the movements correctly. The exercises developed by Matthias Alexander are mostly performed in front of a mirror. In particular, elements like holding the head straight, keeping the shoulders wide and smiling are practised over and over again in front of the mirror. After about five to ten exercise hours the patient becomes more aware of how they are using their body and can then make changes so that the posture becomes more aligned and movement becomes easier.
The Alexander Technique is especially useful for people who have a professional interest in good posture and improving the voice, like actors, musicians, dancers etc, but it is also beneficial to professionals who may develop bad posture, e.g. nurses and people who work in front of a screen.
The Alexander Technique is also used to treat back and shoulder pain, headaches, as well as helping to alleviate stress, vegetative and psychosomatic disorders, anxiety and depression.
- Spa break for 3 & 6 days
- Beauty packages
- Relaxation packages
- Balance camps
- Active & sports
- Active & biking
- Golf & Wellness
- Active & Yoga
- Time for us
- Time for girl friends
- Time for men
- Mums and daughters
- Holidays in Schleswig-Holstein
- Spa Resorts Mecklenburg Western-Pommerania
- Wellness holidays in Lower Saxony
- Spa getaways Saxony-Anhalt
- Wellness in North Rhine-Westphalia
- Wellness holidays in Brandenburg
- Experiencing Wellness in Hesse
- Spa Hotels Rhineland-Palatinate
- Wellness regions
- Wellness at North Sea
- Holidays on Juist island | North Sea
- Holidays on Norderney island | North Sea
- Experiencing at the Wadden Sea
- Holidays St.Peter-Ording Wadden Sea
- Holidays at Husum | North Sea
- Holidays at Baltic Sea
- Holidays at Kiel Fjord
- Holidays at Holsteinische Schweiz
- Wellness on Rügen island
- Holidays on Usedom island
- Holidays at Warnemünde | Baltic Sea
- Wellness Harz region
- Spa break at Lower Lusatia
- Wellness Münsterland | Germany
- Spa break at Lower-Rhine
- Wellness break Rhineland
- Holidays in Sauerland NRW
- Wellness in the Eifel
- Wellness holidays north Hesse
- Holidays eastern part of Hesse
- Holidays at Moselle river
- Holidays at Nahe river
- Holidays in Westerwald
- Holidays in the Black Forest
- Holidays in Tyrol | Austria
- Alpine Spa in Allgäu | Bavaria
- Wellness Bavarian Forest
- Spa Holidays in Upper Bavaria